If we would now go to any competition among chess databases, I guess we would just win all oscars, grammies, palms and other trophies for today's submission. The OM Golem for the first time reached the critical mass of 8 millions followed by OTB extract with 6 millions games. We just put Chess Base and Chess Assistant into 2nd league players....
The OM Golem with 8 million of human games. It is THE world's leading database of all human games. The most powerful is by my all meanings the OM Golem 2300. At the moment the size of the cloud folder is around 1.8 GB (and many users have free boxes of 2.0 GB so we are unfortunately running out of space – however we will soon publish tutorials how to create OM GOLEM 2300 yourself from the main database. It is not so difficult and takes you 5 minutes. The OTB and CORR are “clean” databases for groups which would like to specially learn one or another group.
The difference between ChessBase databases and our OM GOLEM is clearly the size. We will compare the quality in next articles based on quantitative methods. At the end, the player (and customer) decides which service they like based on which criteria. But how we see it ... we just put Chess Base and Chess Assistant databases into 2nd league...
The main features of Opening Master :
• approx 8 million high quality games between humans in Chess Base, Chess Assistant and PGN formats. Including now also CBF format which can be used by EXACHESS / Mac players.
• out of which approx 6 millions is OTB players only (i.e. excluding any Portal, Correspondance games etc..) THIS is pure OTB games
• out of which approx. 1,1 million games is pure Correspondence games only. This is especially useful database for ICCF players.
• each game has result ending 1:0, 1/2 or 0:1
• the smallest number of moves is 8 and more. There are NO draws of GMs between 2nd and 7th move
• does NOT contain games prior year 1900
• does NOT contain games played by computers only. These games are at lower quality than if played by humans. OM GOLEM has computer assisted games called Centaur where human decision at the end matters.
• does NOT contain games played on 'web portals' with nick names behind. where the rules are not clear (again, exception for OM GOLEM which is collection of best human, i.e. here we put also web portal games)
• it has much higher number of high ELO games and the basis for collection is only quality not volume
• it is being updated on monthly basis. With the automatic synchronization from the cloud using DropBox vendor. No matter where you are, whether you use Windows, Linus or Mac, whether you ave computer, iPhone, iPad you can have excess to your folder
• there are many other smaller database specials like FIDE top 100, ICCF top 200, OM 2300, OM Portal only etc...
• there are NO DUPLICATES in this or any other OM database. See filter criteria on our web page.
• Since version 1.22. databases are also converted for Chess Assistant players and universal PGN
Alexander Horvath, SIM ICCF, founder of Opening Master